SEED's Master in Sustainability Management is my preferred program for research masters students.
Note that a generous PhD joint-position is advertised separately.
Please consult the research projects link at www.sbyoung.com and SEED future graduate students webpage at University of Waterloo for more details.
Qualifications and requirementsStrong skills in empirical social scientific research related to the environment, in particular interview and/or focus group research. For PhD student, MES degree showing similar abilities appropriate to degree level would be ideal, though my students commonly originate in the natural sciences.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to use and develop sustainability assessment approaches (e.g., LCA, EIA, EMS)
- Willingness to undertake interdisciplinary research (e.g., business, sustainability management, environmental sciences/studies, materials science, green buildings or products, chemical engineering)
- Commitment to evidence-based research in either the natural or social sciences
- Experience working with industry or business would be a strong asset
- Interest in applying for supplemental funding for this research (e.g., MITACs Elevate, http://www.mitacs.ca/elevate)
- Ability to work independently and self-motivate
- Evidence of writing ability, demonstrated by university coursework or publication
- Commitment to the project for the period of the degree
- Ability to live in or near the Waterloo, Ontario (or nearby) and to be present on campus regularly in the School of Environment, Enterprise and Development, University of Waterloo.
ApplicationInterested applicants should contact me directly via my University of Waterloo email and provide:
- a half-page statement of specific interest in one of the active research areas
- your curriculum vita
- contact information for one academic reference
- a sample of your research writing
- a clear understanding of which program at Waterloo you intend to apply to and the costs involved
The application deadline for Fall 2014 is February 1, 2014. Applications to the university must be 100% complete by this deadline to be considered for any available scholarships.